Monday, August 12, 2019

Reading Response Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 500 words - 18

Reading Response - Essay Example The reading was also in accordance with some of my thoughts regarding some things I encounter in daily. People seem to assume that those living with disabilities have to be helped with everything and in everything they do. Helping them in their tasks can make them feel fewer humans or useless. As a result, I only offer help when it is necessary or when asked to do so. The reading reinforced my experience with deaf persons. For the few deaf people I have met in life, I hardly make any meaningful communication apart from greetings. Communicating with the deaf is problematic because I lack the knowledge and understanding of the sign language. The information presented about mobility impairment relates well with some things I have encountered in life. When I was young, my neighbor had a son who had impaired legs. The boy could not walk and his time at home. In fact, he never got a chance to move out of their home even when he got ill. His parents restricted him to his wheelchair and always spent his time in the house. When my mother would send me to take cards or other valuables to their home, I ensured that I met the boy and checked how he was doing. His parents, however, did not like people near him. Immediately after greetings, they would tell me that is enough and that Mike did not want disturbance. I would, however, see Mike’s need for friends in his eyes. His parents thought it was their mistake for having Mike. They thought having a child with a disability was a taboo and would be laughed at by the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment